The Christmas Markets of Germany
This tour is the perfect winter getaway for the ultimate taste of Christmas.
Enjoy the magical atmosphere of medieval German towns lightly dusted with snow, adorned with decorations and lights whilst sampling the local delicacies and warming wines.
Browsing the German Christmas markets will uncover contemporary and traditional toys, Christmas decorations, sweets, foods and presents. Everything for the perfect Christmas trip.
This tour can be adapted to include visits to other Christmas markets and can be based in many other accessible locations in Germany.
Itinerary at a Glance
Day One: Arrive in Frankfurt
- Meet and greet at Frankfurt Airport with the specialist tour manager and a transfer to the deluxe coach to start the tour.
- Drive to Rothenburg ob der Tauber; a beautiful small town with medieval buildings and cobbled streets.
- Time at leisure to explore the town, take a horse and carriage ride or walk the restored city walls.
- Dinner in a local ‘gasthaus’ and an overnight stay at the hotel.
Day Two: The Shopping Begins
- Today the serious business starts with a visit to the Käthe Wohlfahrt’s world famous Christmas village shop. A true cavern of delight full of decorations.
- In the afternoon and evening watch the Christmas decoration lights come on, the market stalls come to life and take time to browse the market and take in the sights and aromas.
- Overnight stay at the hotel.
Day Three: Wertheim/Miltenburg/Amorbach
- Today travel to Wertheim to visit the glass museum and watch demonstrations of the production and design from the traditional to the modern.
- Continue to Miltenburg, with its half timbered houses, for a short stop to indulge in the local biscuits and coffee.
- Onto to Amorbach for an evening choral concert in its Benedictine abbey, accompanied by its famous baroque organ.
- Return to Rothenburg ob der Tauber for an overnight stay.
Day Four: Wuerzburg Christmas Market
- Morning at leisure to explore and shop or just relax and take in the atmosphere.
- Afternoon excursion to the Wuerzburg Christmas Market; one of the most atmospheric in Germany held against the historical backdrop of the Gothic St. Mary’s Chapel and the ‘Falkenhaus’ Rococco mansion.
A delightful selection of Christmas goods are on offer here at the beautifully decorated wooden booths. The town hall’s historical courtyard also hosts an artists’ Christmas market.
- Return in the early evening to Rothenburg ob der Tauber for an overnight stay.
Day Five: Bamberg
- The morning free to explore and shop, or just relax and take in the atmosphere.
- An afternoon excursion to Bamberg, a UNESCO World Heritage site, including visits to the town hall and cathedral.
Experience Bamberg’s charming Christmas Market steeped in tradition. Explore the nativity scenes and over 50 market stalls offering Christmas decorations, ornaments and sweet delicacies from around the region.
- Return in the early evening to Rothenburg ob der Tauber.
Day Six: Nuremburg
- Travel to Nuremberg to take a city tour starting with the Toy Museum, which has displays covering toys from antiquity to the present day. Then a more traditional visit to the Church of St Sebald, which has been on the site since 1070 and a place of pilgrimage for many to the grave of the holy Sebaldus.
- Then down to some serious shopping with a visit to Nuremberg’s main market square (Hauptmarkt):
- In the heart of the old quarter is the setting for the annual ceremony at which the ‘Christkindl’ or Christ Child opens Nuremberg’s ‘Christkindlesmarkt’, the most famous Christmas market in the world. Every year over two million visitors soak up the medieval atmosphere and romance of this miniature town of Christmas stalls.
- Delight in the delicious aromas of gingerbread, cinnamon, Nuremberg ‘bratwurst’, roasted almonds and ‘glühwein’. Younger visitors can enjoy the ‘Kinderweihnacht’ or children’s Christmas where a magnificent, traditional carousel comes complete with an upper tier, reindeer figures and Santa’s sleigh.
- Return in the evening happy, full and contented to Rothenburg ob der Tauber for an overnight stay at the hotel.
Day Seven: Depart for Home
- Last minute shopping and the last chance to savour a sweet pastry or glass of ‘gluhwein’, before heading back to Frankfurt airport for the return flight home.